On Sunday, February 28th, 2016 at 11:30am, Ebenezer Methodist Church located at 234 E. Spruce Street will receive their historic marker to designate it on the National Registrar of Historical Places. The church, located across the street from OIC, will receive their marker and presentation by the Historical Society of Montgomery County. Parking is available at Montgomery County OIC, enter parking lot from Basin Street.
The church’s history dates back 1840 when the congregation formed. The church recently celebrated 175 years in the community with a service by Rev. Al Sharpton. It is the second oldest black church in Norristown.
The church is Greek Revival, with vertical lines from the windows rising to a triangular pediment at the top, resulting in an elegant look born of simple design. The congregation was formed around 1840 as “Ebenezer African Union Methodist Church” and was instrumental in the Underground Railroad movement. –Norristown Preservation Society
Join Ebenezer Methodist Church and the community as we celebrate their success!
Read the full article on The Times Herald.